We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Two Injured in House Fire


An elderly woman suffered burns in a house fire on Evansville’s North Side. 

Firefighters were called to 1501 Huber Avenue, off Kratzville Road, just before 5:00 Thursday afternoon.

In a release, EFD Division Chief Mike Larson said a neighbor tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose before firefighters arrived.

Larson crews found flames in a bedroom, where an elderly woman had been.

The woman’s daughter had pulled her to the front door and neighbors helped get her outside.

Firefighters treated the woman for 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her legs and administered oxygen for smoke inhalation.

AMR took the woman to Deaconess Hospital. The daughter was later treated for smoke inhalation.

Larson said firefighters limited fire damage to the bedroom, its contents, and a hallway outside the bedroom.

He said the blaze was caused an improperly discarded cigarette in a trash can next to the bed.

The American Red Cross was contacted to help the residents.

More: The names of the occupants have not been released.

Related Content