We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Small Fire Closes Central High School

EFD_2.jpg
File
/

Officials say a fire in Central High School’s auditorium was likely caused by a light box that ignited stage curtains. 

Evansville firefighters were dispatched to the school on First Avenue at about 8:45 Tuesday night.

In a release, Division Chief Mike Larson says the first crew arrived in two minutes and firefighters extinguished the fire in less than ten minutes.

Larson said the flames were reported by people operating the lights, while preparing for a performance in the auditorium.

Everyone got out safely.

Larson said the fire caused minor damage to the stage floor and several curtains.

The EVSC closed the building and conducted an e-learning day for all Central students on Wednesday.

Freshmen, sophomores, and seniors were already online for I-STEP testing.