We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

EFD: Cigarette Started Fatal October Fire

EFD.jpg
File
/

Investigators say a cigarette ignited a fatal garage fire in Evansville.

The October 25th fire at 2219 Van Bibber Avenue claimed the life of 69-year-old Sandra Goings. 

In a release, Division Chief Mike Larson said the Evansville Fire Department and Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by improper disposal of a cigarette.

The EFD said first responders administered CPR and achieved a pulse, but Goings was later pronounced dead at St. Vincent hospital.

She had been living in the garage, and Larson said firefighters found no working smoke detectors in the structure.

No firefighters were injured.

Related Content
  • An investigation continues following a fatal fire in Evansville. Firefighters were dispatched to a garage fire at 2219 Van Bibber Avenue on Friday.They…