We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
Available On Air Stations

Garage Fire Kills Woman


An investigation continues following a fatal fire in Evansville. 

Firefighters were dispatched to a garage fire at 2219 Van Bibber Avenue on Friday.

They found smoke coming from the structure and a resident had rescued a woman who had been living in the garage.

In a release, the Evansville Fire Department says CPR was performed by the rescuer and then by fire and AMR crews. 

The EFD says crews were able to achieve a pulse while on scene, but the woman was later pronounced dead at St. Vincent Hospital.

The Vanderburgh County Coroner identified the victim as 69-year-old Sandra Goings.

In a release, the coroner said an autopsy showed no signs of trauma and the cause of Goings’ death is pending toxicology testing.  The testing takes 3-to-4 weeks.

No firefighter injuries were reported.

The EFD described the blaze as a “contents only fire.”