We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News

EFD: House Fire Started by Accident

EFD_1.jpg
File
/

A fire official says a homeless person accidentally started a house fire in Evansville. 

Firefighters were dispatched to 1014 W. Virginia St. just after 7:00 Friday morning.

In a release, Division Chief Mike Larson said the first crew arrived three minutes later and found smoke coming from the house.

Upon entering the structure, firefighters found flames in the basement.

They quickly extinguished the fire.

Neighbors said the house was vacant and unsecure, and they had seen homeless activity there.

Larson says a homeless occupant said he was using a stick with a cloth as a torch to see in the basement and accidentally started the fire.

No injuries were reported.