We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Local News

EFD: Cigarette Sparked House Fire; Resident Displaced

EFD_2.jpg
File
/

An Evansville fire investigator says a discarded cigarette ignited a house fire in the Jacobsville neighborhood. 

Firefighters were dispatched to the home at 20 E. Missouri St. at about 8:25 Tuesday morning.

When the first crews arrived two minutes later, they reported smoke and flames visible from the back of the home.

In a release, Division Chief Mike Larson said firefighters extinguished the flames in less than 10 minutes.

Larson said the blaze originated on the back porch and most of the fire damage was to that porch and the exterior of the home.

There was also moderate smoke damage throughout the house.

Larson said the sole occupant got out of the burning home with no injury. the resident was displaced and will stay with family.

Larson said the cause of the fire was determined to be a discarded cigarette, and was ruled accidental.