We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Man Displaced by Apartment Fire

EFD_0.jpg
File
/

Officials say a candle ignited a fire in an Evansville apartment building. 

Firefighters were dispatched to 2842 Brittany Ct. in the Diamond Valley Apartments at about 12:30 Wednesday afternoon.

When crews arrived, they didn’t see any fire but a quick investigation of the building led them to flames in a second floor apartment.

In a release, EFD Division Chief Mike Larson said firefighters extinguished the small fire in about 10 minutes and no one was injured.

The occupant said he had a lit a candle on his dining table and thought he had put it out.

He left the room and a few minutes later smelled smoke and saw the table top on fire.

Larson said the man tried to put out the fire without success before calling 911.

The kitchen and dining area of the unit was damaged by smoke and heat.

The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the displaced resident.