We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Man Using Oxygen Burned in Apartment Fire

EFD_1.jpg
File
/

An Evansville man suffered burns in an apartment fire. 

newsmatch_37.png
Credit File
/

National foundations will double your contribution to support high quality local news in Evansville, but only until Dec. 31st! Please make a contribution today to keep local news strong in our community.

Firefighters were called to the 2100 block of E. Franklin St. early Sunday.

In a release EFD Division Chief Mike Larson said when firefighters arrived, they found fire in a bottom floor apartment of a three story, twelve unit apartment building.

Larson said crews contained the fire to the living room of the apartment.

Smoke damaged the kitchen and bedroom but no other units were damaged.

The victim’s brother said his sibling is on supplemental oxygen due to a medical condition and was about to take some medication when he used a lighter to see a label and accidentally caught his beard on fire.

Due to the oxygen enriched environment, the fire quickly spread to clothing, blanket, and a recliner.

Firefighters treated the man before care was transferred to AMR.

AMR then took him to St. Vincent Hospital with second degree burns to his hands and face.

He was expected to be driven to a Louisville burn center for further treatment.

His name was not released.