We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

House Fire Kills Pets, Displaces Two People

EFD_station 1_STOCK.jpg
FILE PHOTO
/
WNIN
Evansville Fire Department, station 1

Weekend fire blamed on air conditioner

A weekend house fire in Evansville claimed the lives of four pets and left two people displaced. WNIN’s John Gibson reports:

Firefighters were dispatched to 2711 S. Roosevelt Drive Saturday evening after neighbors called 911.

When firefighters arrived, they reported smoke visible from the rear of the home.

District Chief Mike Larson says crews entered the home and found flames coming from a bedroom.

Larson says they extinguished the fire in about 15 minutes.

The two occupants had been sleeping and were awakened by smoke and heat. They tried to extinguish the fire themselves and to evacuate four dogs, nine cats and one bird from the home.

One dog, two cats, and the bird did not survive.

Larson said the fire originated in a window air conditioner and investigators determined it to be accidental.

The Red Cross was called to assist the residents.

Larson noted that a private vehicle ran over a 5-inch hose which crews had laid on S. Roosevelt. The vehicle got stuck on the hose and required a tow truck to remove it. The EPD ticketed the driver.