We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Trip Back Home May Have Saved Lives

EFD.jpg
File
/

Man returns to find fire inside a house where two people were sleeping

Having to turn around and go home may have saved lives in an Evansville home. WNIN’s John Gibson has the story:

The Evansville Fire Department says an occupant left the house at 1324 E. Illinois St. just before 7:30 Tuesday morning to take his child to school.

A short time later, they realized they had forgotten something and turned back to the house and found smoke in an upstairs bedroom.

The man followed the smoke to a closet and found flames coming from a fixture.

He alerted the remaining 2 occupants who were sleeping and everybody got out of the house.

Firefighters were called and quickly extinguished the attic fire, but crews had to overhaul the insulation to make sure the fire was completely out.

Larson said the blaze was electrical and considered accidental.

The Red Cross was notified to help four adults, one juvenile, and a pet dog that were displaced.