We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

2 House Fires Displace Residents, Pets

Crawford, Jeffrey N

Evansville Firefighters extinguished both blazes on Sunday

Two house fires in Evansville on Sunday displaced four people. WNIN’s John Gibson has details:

Firefighters responded to the first blaze at 5221 Warren Drive, on Evansville’s North Side early Sunday morning.

EFD Division Chief Mike Larson says firefighters reported a working fire in the single-story home.

Larson says the blaze originated in the back exterior wall of the kitchen and extended into the attic.

The fire was considered fully extinguished in about 20 minutes.

The occupant of the home was able to escape out the back door unharmed and the Red Cross was contacted to assist.

The fire cause was determined to be electrical in nature.

About five hours later, crews were called to 917 Irvin Ave. on the city’s East Side where an occupant smelled something burning, found flames, and called 911.

The first crews on the scene reported smoke coming from a sunroom at the corner of the home.

Larson says firefighters quickly contained the flames but it took extra time to completely extinguish the fire.

The Red Cross was requested to assist 3 adults and 5 pets who were displaced by the fire.

Investigators determined the fire started near a wood burning stove.