We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Holiday House Fire Displaces Residents


EFD: The blaze on W. Eichel was caused by an unattended wood burner

A house fire during the holiday weekend in Evansville chased residents from their home. WNIN’s John Gibson has more:

It happened Saturday evening at 1326 W. Eichel Ave.

Evansville Fire Department Division Chief Mike Larson says the first arriving crews reported one side of the house fully involved, with flames going up the exterior wall towards the second floor.

Larson says an “aggressive interior attack” extinguished the main body of fire in the interior rooms, but flames spread into the walls and caused major damage.

The fire was considered extinguished in about 30 minutes.

Investigators say an occupant built a fire in a wood burner and left the house to run errands.

It was ruled an accidental fire.

There were no injuries reported, but the occupants were displaced, and the Red Cross was called for assistance.

CenterPoint Energy responded to disconnect utilities, along with the water department.