We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Man Suffers Burns, Jumps from Burning House

EFD_station 1_STOCK.jpg
Tim Jagielo
/
WNIN
Evansville Fire Station No. 1

EFD: Fire on E. Franklin St. was accidental, caused by cooking

A man has been flown to a Louisville hospital after a house fire in Evansville. WNIN’s John Gibson reports:

Firefighters were dispatched to the house converted to four apartments at 416 E. Franklin St. just after 9:00 Thursday night.

In a release, EFD Division Chief Mike Larson said three of the four apartments were occupied when the fire started on the second floor.

An upstairs occupant broke out a bedroom window to escape and jumped to the sidewalk below before firefighters could reach him.

Larson said the occupant suffered injuries from the fall and from burns.

He was taken to Deaconess Midtown and then flown to a Louisville Hospital.

There was no word on his name or condition.

Larson said crews extinguished the blaze in about 30 minutes but remained on scene for about two more hours to ensure the fire was out.

Investigators ruled it was an accidental cooking fire.

Center Pointe was called to disconnect utilities and the Red Cross was contacted to assist the displaced residents.