We're Building A Better Tri-State Together
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

EFD: Smoke Alarms Likely Saved Lives in Apartment Fire

Evansville Fire Department, station 1
Evansville Fire Department, station 1

An Evansville fire official says smoke detectors probably saved lives in an apartment fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to 1415 Dresden St. in the Fulton Square Apartments late Saturday night after occupants were awakened by smoke alarms.

EFD Division Chief Mike Larson said a mother initially tried to extinguish a fire behind a dresser but to no avail.

Larson says she then grabbed her children, evacuated the apartment, and called 911.

He said firefighters found flames and black smoke and in the bedroom and quickly extinguished the blaze with minor damage.

Investigators ruled the fire accidental due to the failure of an extension cord.

Larson said the working smoke detectors reduced possible injuries and most likely saved lives.

The mother and three kids were displaced and the Red Cross was called to assist them.